We recommend Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs) steer clear of generic hashtags. Why? Because using generic hashtags makes your brand look generic. Furthermore, let’s be honest. Are we gaining quality audiences from #fun? Probably not.
So what hashtags should you use? Here are some ideas:
- Your branded hashtag (duh).
- Other popular hashtags within your community. Chances are, your branded hashtag is not the most popular.
- The official State DMO hashtag for your home state.
- Hashtag the name of your state.
- Other popular hashtags for your state.
- National days (if applicable).
Better yet, make a note in your phone with all the hashtags you would like to use on a regular basis. Instead of typing them in for every post, you can simple copy and paste them over!