1. Determine the story you are going to tell and why. It’s really important to have an idea in mind before you create a story just for the sake of creating a story. You want to make sure that you know what you are going to share with your viewers and why. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What kind of story are you making? (event promo, partner feature, etc.)
- What is your goal in creating this story?
- What call-to-action will your story include?
2. Create a storyboard. Yes, that’s right. It may sound simple, but it works! In order to create a successful story, you must plan out the process from start to finish. Even if you are covering a live event, you should have an idea of the content that you want to gather. Knowing what you need can save you valuable time and will give your stories a clear purpose. Your storyboard should include the number of images/videos that you want to include, the text that you will include on each slide, the creative aspects of each piece (GIFs, paint, location tags, hashtags, links) and most importantly: your call-to-action. Here are a few things to keep in mind as start laying out your story:
- Focus on stories that are between 5 to 8 panels long
- Keep the pace up!
- Stick to a single visual theme throughout the entire story
- Include text features that guide the user
Need a little help to get started with storyboards? Check out this storyboard maker.