1. Reading Patterns
You probably don’t even know it, but right now you’re reading this in blog in a F-Shaped pattern. Research into patterns of reading on the web show that most users follow either the F-Shape or Marking patterns while on social media.
F-Shape is aptly named, as users eyes make a rough “F” while reading. Marking, which most often occurs on mobile, is when the reader keeps eye in one place as they scroll through the page.
Studies show 80% of social media time is spent on mobile, so marking takes place a great deal. In most cases, readers will likely read only the first line and the first few words on the left.
2. Time Per Post
3. Attention Spans
Contrary to popular belief, attention spans are not conclusively found to be shrinking, but rather, we find that they’re evolving.
Additionally, on average, American Adults spend 11+ hours per day consuming media, from gaming and television to radio and internet.
While attention spans aren’t shrinking, users are becoming more and more selective, so it’s harder than ever to capture attention through the onslaught of content.
4. Optimum Word Counts
With just a quick glance, it’s clear that the shorter the post, the higher the engagement rate. Based on media consumption, reading patterns, and reading stats, these numbers make intuitive sense.
Consequently, the data shows that users are now given to be interested only in social media featuring:
- Stories that can be absorbed in less than 2 seconds.
- Main points in the first line & on the left in as few characters as possible.
With so much in the mix, they can only ignore the other content, which is why good CTAs are absolutely crucial.
Check Out Our Blog!
- How to Find Great User-Generated Content July 20, 2021
- 5 Questions with our Newest Team Member, Ashley Maddix July 14, 2021
- 4 Ways to Enhance Your Community Management July 8, 2021
- On Our Radar | July 2021 July 1, 2021
- 5 Ways to Increase Visitor Usage of Your Hashtag June 24, 2021
- A Beginner’s Guide to UTM Codes June 17, 2021
- How and Why To Repurpose Evergreen Content June 10, 2021
- On Our Radar | June 2021 June 3, 2021
Stay up-to-date on digital marketing trends and learn more about best practices in the tourism industry delivered directly to your inbox each month.