1. Reading Patterns
You probably don’t even know it, but right now you’re reading this in blog in a F-Shaped pattern. Research into patterns of reading on the web show that most users follow either the F-Shape or Marking patterns while on social media.
F-Shape is aptly named, as users eyes make a rough “F” while reading. Marking, which most often occurs on mobile, is when the reader keeps eye in one place as they scroll through the page.
Studies show 80% of social media time is spent on mobile, so marking takes place a great deal. In most cases, readers will likely read only the first line and the first few words on the left.
2. Time Per Post
3. Attention Spans
Contrary to popular belief, attention spans are not conclusively found to be shrinking, but rather, we find that they’re evolving.
Additionally, on average, American Adults spend 11+ hours per day consuming media, from gaming and television to radio and internet.
While attention spans aren’t shrinking, users are becoming more and more selective, so it’s harder than ever to capture attention through the onslaught of content.
4. Optimum Word Counts
With just a quick glance, it’s clear that the shorter the post, the higher the engagement rate. Based on media consumption, reading patterns, and reading stats, these numbers make intuitive sense.
Consequently, the data shows that users are now given to be interested only in social media featuring:
- Stories that can be absorbed in less than 2 seconds.
- Main points in the first line & on the left in as few characters as possible.
With so much in the mix, they can only ignore the other content, which is why good CTAs are absolutely crucial.
Check Out Our Blog!
- On Our Radar Highlight – Inflation & Tourism: Trends to Think About July 5, 2022
- On Our Radar | July 2022 June 30, 2022
- Trending at TwoSix: New Instagram Reel Features June 30, 2022
- On Our Radar Highlight – Guide to Maximizing Reels June 30, 2022
- 5 Things Every Great Instagram Photo Needs June 29, 2022
- How to Create Successful Video For Social Media June 29, 2022
- Trending at TwoSix: Comments on Ads June 21, 2022
- Trending at TwoSix: Utilizing Youtube Shorts June 14, 2022
Stay up-to-date on digital marketing trends and learn more about best practices in the tourism industry delivered directly to your inbox each month.
Sign up here!
TwoSix on Tour
August 29 – September 2 | Brian Matson will be presenting at the Texas Association of CVBs Annual Conference in South Padre Island, TX onTake Control: Social Media Tactics to Work Smarter, Not Harder and Leverage LinkedIn and Social Ads for Meetings, Groups, and Sports
September 25 – 27 | The TwoSix Digital Team will be attending the 2022 MACVB Annual Educational Conference in Mackinac Island, MI.