It’s important to get your locals engaged, and using your official hashtag. We spend so much time trying to add content to the hashtag ourselves, and it would be great to get support from our community.
First of all, consider the nature of your hashtag. Typically hashtags using CVB lingo underperform. For example, #VisitCity, #DiscoverCity, #ExploreCity are not relevant to locals. You may need to rethink your hashtag, and promote one that makes sense to both locals and visitors such as, #CityLove.
Once you have an engaging hashtag, it’s time to promote it. Here are ways you can excite locals (and visitors) about your hashtag:
- Provide window clings of your hashtag to put in the windows of local businesses
- Make coasters for local bars and restaurants that promote your hashtag
- Hang posters around your destination with your hashtag
- Giveaway hashtag t-shirts at local hotspots (i.e. universities, coffee shops, farmers markets)
- Find photos on Instagram that are relevant to your destination. If they don’t use your hashtag, send that a comment that says, “Hey this is an awesome photo! It’d be great if you used #CityLove on pics like this in the future.”
Get aggressive with your hashtag promotion! If your locals aren’t using it, chances are – visitors won’t use it either.